Thursday, October 20, 2011

Open Up Hearts

10/10/11


!Hola Famila!


?How the heck are ya? Todo bien aqui en la Costa. It has been nuts lately with a ton of intercambios con law missioneros and a capacitacion last Friday for liveres en Barranquilla.


This week I have learned a ton. First off, I did my first baptismal interview, it was sweet. The lady of 50 years was totally awesome and willing to fight for the remission of sins that she wanted so desperately. It was cool to see someone just open up and let their testimony shine. She was baptized last Saturday and confirmed and was just totally awesome. I did another para una jovencita - but she got scared and didn’t baptize. Dang it.


I had a similar experience. We were working with Pedro and he had his interview and it was sweet. He still struggles to understand but we are going to use videos and stuff. Anyway. Wednesday we had his interview. His little daughter Ana Iris told me he has 10 children from 4 different ladies. (Not uncommon here) - and that he smokes every morning, afternoon and night. But we asked him and he said he didn’t so I hope he’s not lying. Anyway, he was all set to be baptized el Sabado, we got everything ready, absolutely everything, and called pretty much the entire ward and the font was full and good. NO SHOW -- ?What the heck? “Qui en el infiernito? We were all sitting there waiting and nada - We went to his house after and he was sitting there - not a care in the world - I had no idea what to say I was in shock, and a fat woman that had taken it upon herself to “protect him” was there, discouraging him and it was just horrific. But then yesterday, we did splits with some members and I called a bunch of members of the priesthood and found Pedro and took him to a more peaceful members house and the bishop -- who is awesome -- shared his conversion story and we all got Pedro excited for his baptism this Saturday. And this time he’ll have all the support in the world to do it! And the O bispo was talking about helping him find a job. Cool -


The training in Barranquilla was sweet. I got to travel with Elder Spencer from close to Holladay, Salt Lake - We have a lot of plans to turn up the heat in the mission - we’ve been struggling these last few months. It is kind of sad - cuz normally we have over 100 baptisms - like easily could have more, but recently - like 60-80 - and Elder Hash wants us to have 250 baptisms - each month - and it is totally possible here. These people are begging for a change of life -- Not that I’ve gotten purposefully wet in the last 6 months, but the rest should be having baptisms! Gosh DANGIT! Ha - but it should change - or I hope it does. I believe in all these miracles and that they can change their lives and that they are ready -


Jessica - I have been using your babies. I’ve been using them in contacts and in lessons and everywhere. They sure can open up hearts--One member even included them and how miraculous they are in her testimony - They are becoming pretty popular here.


So one thing I’m learning is the importance of making sure all your words are uplifting. Cuz no one wants to be around someone who puts people down. Even in joking.


So remember the preacher dude of last week that just talked and talked and talked and said I was a Pharisee? I SAW HIM AGAIN! I was on exchanges with another elder and we were contacting and he approached me and him - he did it and was like “Ya we’re just preaching Jesus,”
I said, “Cool, us too.”
“Oh but it’s a different Jesus”
“No” (Me)
“Our Jesus is God”
“Ours too”
“No, but ours was God forever, before, here on Earth and now”
“Us too”
“Well Bye!”
“!Adios! !Cuidesa!” And it was so weird to see him again cuz I was honestly so happy. I was like hey my friend! But he was rather snippy - I was like, I’d give you a libro de Mormon, but you can’t speak spanish. He returned to his appointment and we kept contacting on that street. When he was in his car to leave I approached him and said -- “Have you read the Book of Mormon?”
“No, when you know the original, the Bible, you can detect a fraud”
“Have you read it?”
“No -- blah blah in Galations - and revelations”
“No, have you read it?”
“I’ve read a little bit”
“Okay, I invite you to read it and ask God if it is true.”
“It’s not true!”
“Ask God - I invite you to ask God”
“Blah Blah”
“Alright - ask God.”
Adios!
I just had to invite him - I hope he softens his heart but he looked sort of defeated while I walked away. Thank you for that extra opportunity. It was cool and totally dramatic.


A funny thing happened when we went to fill the font -- we opened the door and there was a cat in the room. It was scared out of its mind and we started dancing around it and it ran and ran and leaped straight into a glass door -- so funny.


I walked arms around shoulders with a drunk man - I told him the Gospel could help get over his addiction and to call us - what a nice guy.


My investigators - we have a bunch - just need to get married -- I am starting to work with the bishop more - He is awesome and yes he can Talk. We have a lot members that are super ready to help all we have to do is call. I’m doing a lot better every week with teaching and leading the district and stuff and I really loved seeing the countryside of Colombia - it is way cool - good with little hats on the mountainside - the other missionaries slept on the way and I was like, NO WAY! How many times am I going to have this opportunity - not a lot - I saw Elder Mccargar and Elder Zurita and they are awesome. Elder Mccargar gave me a huge hug - we had so much fun together and Zurita said, “You are/were my last companion.” It was funny those two are both Zone Leaders. I have interviews this week with the President and those’ll be cool.


We have 3 types of hormigas in the house -- small, intermediate slimy ones, and huge ones. And the slimy ones bite and it hurts and itches forever after.


Hey, I love you all - sorry this letter was a little scrambled - I did not outline it at all - just wrote. Thanks for all your love and writing me every week. It helps a lot.


Love you tons,
Elder Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment