Thursday, November 10, 2011

Know How Blessed You Are

10/31/11

!Hola Flia! (abbreviation for Familia)

I Esta ba para escribirles, pero me acorde que tengo que hacer el informe de Progreso, que vaina.

Nah, I’ll do it in the morning. I’m fasting right now so this could be weird. And I’m tired – a lot – Did I tell you about my bed?– Not comfortable. Finally I made the other elder switch me beds… Still I had to sleep with the mattress a little raised so my feet weren’t trapped in the bed. But finally I got smart and put the blanket I never use to use under my feet... AHH – so much better. I padded the bar. Though I still have nutty dreams… because my comp left to Monteria and a Training in Barranquilla so for a day I was in a trio with the other elders of my district and I slept alone in my own room for the first time in 9 months! And as luck would have it I had a super freaky dream about a trapped fantom. I woke up totally scared like I would when I was littler – like a year ago – and I started praying and fell right back to sleep.

Elder Jorge left. It was a weird experience. After all our strife and things right before he left I found myself exceedingly pleased – excited even. Like Finally! I realized this was sad on my part and I began to change the way I was viewing this entire situation. I thought about this while we were preparing to go. Whoa, the change was grand – to the point where I became determined to never lose his influence on me. All that I learned from him and what we put each other through – it was intense but despite all our ups and downs and everything I could truly say, “Be a good example man (I mean Elder). I love you too…Franco.” He told me I could call him by his first name, I never did – though he preferred it – just when it was like adios! Did I call him Franco.

So, he left.

And Elder Pacaya came.

He is from Equitos, Peru – his house floats.

Yes, you read right, his house Floats – AWESOME – in the Holiday months from like November til January-February his house floats! Cuz the river raises and not just that but to like 12-15 deep! They go by canoe to church and he says it is super annoying when they forget something and have to go back. They are looking for a house that isn’t affected as much by the water – cool. Can you imagine? You could skinny dip every night!

He is a small Peruvian missionary and he’s funny – He’s probably still in the awkward faze of being intimidated by me – I haven’t asked him – I’ve been trying to take a real interest in him but it is a little difficult when they don’t return it well. But, I share about myself anyway.

I am the only gringo en the zone. The entire Zone. Only citizen of the USA – so strange – but I think more and more gringos are coming to the mission – a bunch have arrived. My comp and I are from the same group – meaning he started in January too – but he’s been in the field longer. BUT as I’m district leader, gringo, and significantly taller (most important) than he will ever be—I’m Not Serious! But it is nice to be a lot more in charge and we get along great. My comps hate me cuz every P-day I’m doing some huge cleaning project, like the walls or the patio or washing every article of clothing I have. But whatever right?

I’ve been making a ton more French toast and it is awesome and my comp broke his shoes so he can’t run in the morning – bummer – I have some strange things running en la manana.

The mission still is really hard – but you gotta love it – my goal this transfer is to get Rich investigators that live in Manga – a place where we have none – they really aren’t rich – rich here pretty much means you have a car – so I don’t know why they think they don’t need anything more. That’s something I’ve realized – how incredibly rare Utah is – it is so incredibly blessed – in every way – sometimes (this is bad) I just think those people put themselves and live in Hell – Honestly – they get drunk, put their music on, some of which is quality but mostly, just this annoying whistle thing and sit on their porch –all night long! And So loud its incredible. In fact, yesterday – day of elections – outside my sweet old sick lady’s investigator house they were doing it! So mad I was! – Let your sick mother-in-law who hasn’t been baptized just cuz she’s sick Rest! Bah! What an undeveloped cultural skidmark they put there.

Just know how blessed you are and how much I love you all –

Love you all tons!

Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment